Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 1

Our first day was filled with registration, discussion, a density lab, discussion, and a light and brightness lab. I am extremely excited to be working with two intelligent science teachers from the Irene/Wakanda School District. I will be the high school special education teacher in this district for the upcoming school year. Getting to know these teachers in a summer class is beneficial for all of us.
Light, brightness, and distance lab analysis
We placed our points 2 centimeters apart. The further we went down the board, demonstrated a power regression and less brightness. Our equation aggrees with the model and our data but our data does not follow an inverse square function. Our data was more linear than inverse.
Our results may have been different if we would have blocked the light allowing it to be more intense in one area. We also could have shut off the room lights and blocked all other window light, allowing for only the light in the machine to show.

Our first day went well and I look forward to discussion and learning more tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi from Betsy Koenig

    Solid and Liquid Density Lab

    I was glad to do this lab, I do something very similar in my eighth grade science class. Students really need practice with balance beams and volume measurement. My students have actually never done anything with balance beams and graduated cylinders, when they enter the seventh grade.

    I forced myself last night to read my calculator's manual and I actually figured out how to input a string of data in TI-30 calculator! I then figured out how to get the mean and the sample standard deviation! I will use this knowledge with my seventh grade PreAlgebra class and teach them how to use the calculators in this way! Thank you for making us learn this!

    Light Lab

    I really enjoyed the light lab. It has been a lot of years and I forgot (or quite possibly never understood!) what logorithms were. What a practical application with the light lab, very interesting too.

    Our data got quite messed up. I must not have moved the probe when I thought I did and the first two data points were way too close together.

    It really taught me a lot to see the logorithms turn a very complex relationship into a straight line. Our school does not have light meters, but this is something I could maybe show the Calculus teacher as an application so the students could understand what a logorithm does.

    ReplyDelete