Friday, July 10, 2009

Thursday, July 9th

Well, the morning didn't start out very good. A storm went through Scotland this morning doing damage to just about every house in town. I had damage to my camper and my siding, but at least no windows were busted out. (A lot of people did have windows taken out.)
The good news is that once we made it to class, we did a very good activity Thursday morning. The predator-prey lab was a good lab. As I said in my blog Wednesday, I don't teach any life scinece classes, but I may be able to actually use this activity in some of my math classes. In Pre-Calculus, we talk about exponential growth and decay. During that time, we also talk a little bit about how exponential growth and decay pertain to populations of organisms.
The predator prey lab might be a good activity for me to do, when we begin talking about populations of organisms. I think that the kids would have a lot of fun with it.
The lab over Beer's Law that we did in the afternoon was interesting also. I'm not so sure that this is something that I can use in my classes, but I definately learned a lot about how concentration effects reaction rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment