Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday's Homework Questions

Hi All,
None of us got blown away in this morning's storm (houses and property excepted). Glad you all are safe. Please discuss the predator/prey models you worked with today -- the java simulation online and the hand's-on model. We have already discussed how you would modify the activity for your grade level, but discuss here what factors were most important and how the two models were similar/different. Which helped you to understand the concept of population decay best?

Also be sure to discuss your impressions of today. Have a great evening and try to stay dry! See you, tomorrow. Wow, this week has been awesome and went so fast. Bring your questions or post them here. See Paul's post from Nashville below.

1 comment:

  1. about the growth/decline of the prey. The online simulation was fun to play with, but there were multiple variables, other than predator/prey starting population, that would make the activity too much for my students. They would want to change EVERYTHING and then not be able to see the relationship. The hands-on model was wonderful to discuss adaptations and survival. I know that all of my students would want to switch to a spoon after the first round of collecting food. The hands-on experience gave a better representation of population decay since we were allowed to experience it.

    My impression of today was that it actually made sense. I have done predator/prey relationships before and I was familiar with the spectrophotometer from previous research. I did appreciate hearing about other teacher’s applications of predator/prey lessons and how they would adjust what we did in class. I would love to experience more of those conversations. Thank you all that added your two cents! It is those types of conversations that give me some of my best ideas!!

    ReplyDelete