Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Electricity/Velocity...fun yet complex.

I thought that both labs were very interesting and could potentially be useful in any classroom from demonstrating simple concepts to evaluating complex calculations. The biggest problem I see with any lab is the time issue. It seems like we are all so busy just trying to figure out what to do and how to do it that we rarely have time to reflect upon what it is we are actually doing and even more importantly why. I was trying to think to myself today about how in the heck I could relate some of this to real life things that kids know about and the fading in and out Christmas lights were the only thing I could come up with at the time. I think reflection after the fact is extremely important. This will be something I will definitely instill in my students. Just getting them thinking about when they might have experienced something similar or might see something that relates to what we are doing will be a tremendous help.
For Example, with the velocity lab I was thinking what would any student find particularly interesting about that and that made me think that maybe that is how cops do speed traps? I'm sure any high school student would find that intriguing. I think finding basic examples will be more important for students than anything. What do you all think and how do you go about coming up with examples?

No comments:

Post a Comment