Tuesday, July 7, 2009

From Monday's labs...

I really enjoyed getting back into the lab today after a long absence. It took me right back to the good old CHEM 112/114 days.I enjoyed both labs and thought they were equally simplistic yet important as a foundation for future knowledge. I felt like we did a pretty good job on our labs all things considered.Our unknown metal ended up having a density of 6.4 g/mL +/- .3 g/mL which I thought was pretty good. Our water density turned out really well too with a density of .97 g/mL +/- .02 g/mL calculated and 1.00027 and R=.9999543. We did however have a bit of trouble with the light lab. It seemed like our first 2 data points skewed the data, but if we took them out, we had a perfect line, so all wasn't lost.I agree with others that the lights should have been off. I think of it as "light saturation" you can only force so much light into the same area (through natural means of course). It was a fun easy to complete lab and I enjoyed learning to use Excel for linear regression analysis in this way. I can definitely see myself putting it to use in the classroom (if I ever get there ;)
July 6, 2009 8:25 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment