Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday's Storm Activities

Well to update what Kevin said about the storms---it also took crops and damage north of Scotland. I live north of Kaylor and the crops are damaged along with holes in the siding of our house. A neighbor to the northeast lost a barn and another lost a grain bin that was blown against a semi. My husband is a carpenter contractor and he has been busy boarding up windows and the phone has been ringing with people wanting to get on his list to get their damage repaired. I feel bad for the farmers because some of them lost everything. The destruction is unbelievable and covers a very wide area involving several communities.
On the bright side of Thursday, I really enjoyed the predator/prey activity. I do something similar but like this one better because of the math and graphs that can be made. I would really relate this to our ecosystem that involves the mountain lions. I recently was at Custer State Park horseback riding and we came across a 20 herd of elk--there was not a single offspring in the herd. Also, we came across some elk bone remains that our guide said was probably done by a mountain lion. I think we will be hearing more about the population of mountain lions in our state and how it is affecting other wildlife.
The Crystal Violet lab was also interesting but is probably above the ability of my middle school kids. I still like making the graphs and getting more familiar with using excel and the graphing options.

No comments:

Post a Comment